Training materials for professsionals and relatives
Spotify can be very easy to use with the proper training, especially the basic functionalities as search songs, singers and bands, listening music selections that Spotify have already prepared… It is as easy as to look for them and press play.
To use more advanced features as the broadcasters, create music lists or share songs with friends… May require a more continuous training and close support.
Everyone knows the benefits that hearing music has in our welfare, both emotional and physical, it can also help to socialize with friends because we can share our musical tastes.
Music produces relaxation or action, creating an atmosphere of joy and confidence. Music enrich life, and for this reason is necessary to surround the person with intellectual disability with a rich environment in musical stimulation.
Listen to music is a sensory experience that will provide intellectual disabled persons a balanced emotional, mental, physiological and social development.
Create new paths and expand the imaginary world are also key points where music can bring great benefits to people with intellectual disability.
Besides, music implies an unconventional language, different to what we are used to, and may open doors to a different communication, more real, open and honest, where everyone create its own way of expression with himself and the others.
Music can be an excellent tool with emotional effects that provides people with possibilities for speaking out at individual or group levels, and to react depending on their sensitivity, and also in unison with others. It helps then to improve capabilities as basic attention, sound perception and rhythm memory.
Through music we can work in different areas with people with intellectual disability. If we talk about the emotional area, the music can help promote the individual self-esteem while it frees energy and feelings which can remain suppressed. It is also a mechanism that facilitates creativity and develops imagination.
Regarding the cognitive function, it stimulates memory, promotes the use of symbolic thought, improving the hearing perception and boosting own initiative in the field of communication and expression.
If we talk about the physical area, the use of music reduces anxiety levels, improves manual and oculus coordination and promotes laterality and corporal scheme in general.
Finally, in the social area, music facilitates relationships with others, improves affectivity and participative behaviours, and helps to assimilate patterns of social behavior: waiting times, the respect of turns, the role of dialogue, etc.
Tips for relatives and professionals
Spotify has a support web page for users where almost everything is explained in detail, you can see it by clicking in the next link:
It includes instructions to install the app for android and ios devices.
In internet we can find different tutorials, for example:
- In English:
- In Spanish:
Video-tutorials about Spotify in Youtube are available in almost any language. We have created our own video-tutorials that you can use with the practical activities. Check them at the following playlist:
It is recommended to facilitate decision making, autonomy and independence of intellectual disabled persons all the time, by letting them to choose what type of music they want to listen and to whom they want to share the music, and remember:
- Spotify can improve the quality of life dimension of physical and emotional wellness.
- Spotify can help to socialize and to swap musical preferences with others, it is an excellent way to communicate, not only through music you like but showing how do you feel as well, individually or in groups.
Supports needed for IDPs when using this app
The supports for intellectual disabled persons are classified based on the intensity of support the person needs to be able to function normally in their environment. This depends on different circumstances related to specific people, situations and stages of life. The support can vary in duration and intensity.
There are four types of intensity of support:
- Intermittent (equivalent to self or autonomous). Support “when necessary”. It is characterized by its episodic nature. Thus, the person does not always need (the) support (s), or requires only short-term support for transitions in the life cycle (worsening of disease). Intermittent supports may be provided with high or low intensity.
- Intensity of support characterized by their temporal persistence for a limited time, and not intermittent. It may require less professionals and fewer costs than other more intensive levels of support (job training for a limited time).
- Supports characterized by regular (eg daily) in at least some settings (such as home or work) and without time limit (for example, long-term support).
- Supports characterized by stability and high intensity; provided in different settings; with the possibility of be maintained throughout life. These widespread support often require more staff and more likely to support the extensive intrusion or limited.
When helping an IDPs using Spotify, you may access to private information about the likes of these persons and also about the activity done by the IDPs, maybe they want that information to be kept private, think that the only way to buid trust with a person is to keep that information in between you.
- Protect your password.
- Password should be difficult to guess.
- Avoid including your name.
- Do not use your spotify password anywhere else online.
- Never share your spotify password.
In the next link below, by scrolling down, you would find:
- Solutions related with log in problems, Frequent Ask Questions (FAQs).
- Using Spotify: with instructions about how to use the main features of this App.
- You can also ask the Spofify Community worldwide.
You can also find video tutorials by clicking on the link below:
We have prepared 2 activities with Spotify.
Click on the following links to access:
For the ACTIVITY 2 you can use the support of the following video:
There are more video-tutorials available. Check them!
QUICK ARTIST SEARCH
SEARCHING SUGGESTED RADIOS AND CREATING A NEW ONE
SEARCHING RADIOS BY GENRE
HOW TO USE YOUR MUSIC
USING AND CREATING PLAYLISTS