Training materials for professsionals and relatives
ENDOMONDO is a social fitness network which allows users to track their fitness and health statistics with a mobile application and website.
ENDOMONDO can track numerous fitness attributes such as running routes, distance, duration, and calories. The software can help analyse performance and recommends improvements.
- ENDOMONDO can improve the quality of life dimension of wellbeing (physical, emotional and health).
- It can also help to improve the social inclusion dimension as it allows the team or groups workout.
- ENDOMONDO facilitates information about the location of the persons using it.
SUPPORTS:TIPS FOR RELATIVES AND PROFESSIONALS
As ENDOMOMDO is related to physical activity it can help to improve emotional wellbeing and mental health including challenging behaviours, it also can help to improve physical health and personal life satisfaction.
Regarding the autonomy, it can help to improve personal skills like adaptive behaviour, and choice and self-determination.
In the social inclusion/civic participation dimension it can help to increase social networks and friendships by doing sports together, and also helping to participate in community-based activities.
The supports needed can range from intermittent to widespread depending on the capabilities of the IDP. There are four types of intensity of support:
- INTERMITTENT (equivalent to self or autonomous). Support “when necessary”. It is characterized by its episodic nature. Thus, the person does not always need (the) support (s), or requires only short-term support for transitions in the life cycle (worsening of disease). Intermittent supports may be provided with high or low intensity.
- LIMITED. Intensity of support characterized by their temporal persistence for a limited time, and not intermittent. It may require less professionals and fewer costs than other more intensive levels of support (job training for a limited time).
- EXTENSIVE. Supports characterized by regular (eg daily) in at least some settings (such as home or work) and without time limit (for example, long-term support).
- WIDESPREAD. Supports characterized by stability and high intensity; provided in different settings; with the possibility of be maintained throughout life. These widespread support often require more staff and more likely to support the extensive intrusion or limited.
It is recommended to turn off the “location” option whenever the application is not in use. It consumes less battery.
If you are a relative or a professional and you going to use ENDOMONDO with an IDP, you must take into account that:
- While using ENDOMONDO you can have access to IDPs health related information, and maybe he or she doesn’t want to share that information with anyone else. Please keep that information in between you, it is the only way to build trust. Use that information to help him or her to feel better.
- Protect your password.
- Password should be difficult to guess.
- Avoid including your name.
- Do not use your password anywhere else online.
- Never share your password.
Below you can watch a video with the main features of Endomondo. There are similar videos like this in Youtube. Search in your own country.
THE GENERAL OBJECTIVES TO ACHIEVE BY DEVELOPING PRACTICAL ACTIVITIES WITH THIS APP IN THE CENTRES ARE:
- Improve the physical health of IDPs.
- Boost Autonomy, Independence and Self-estime.
- Increase team work and social capabilities.
- Achieve healthy habits and routines.
- To move through unsual places.
- Give options to generalize personla and family leisure and free time.
- Know the enviroment.
- Respect the nature
With Tablets or Smartphones, trainees can control their performance in each ENDOMONDO activity and then contrasts on the computer: the route followed, consumed calories, uptime, etc.
Using this application we can improve the quality of life of IDPs together with relatives and professionals focusing primarily on the dimensions of Independence, Social Inclusion and Personal Welfare.
The practical activities that can be developed can be:
ACTIVITY 1. HIKING.
The training group can do a hiking activity. They can decide the places they want to visit and once they are back they can check out the route and the different values that the App offers (lenght, time, heart rate…) and can remember the best moments of the hiking activity.
It is recommended to do it together with relatives and professionals so they can set up and monitor the App increasing the leraning process and the autonomy of IDPs when they use the App the next time, even if they do physical activities by their own or with their colleagues.
2. WALKING AROUND THE NEIGHBORHOOD.
The training group (IDPs, relatives and professionals) can make a walk in the neighborhood or city, they can decide where to go and what to do, including socializing with the people in the neighborhood, knowing how to move around and knowing and visit the places of interest. Once they are back they can check out the route and the different values that the App offers (lenght, time, heart rate…) and can remember the best moments of the activity. The training group can also set up and monitor the App increasing the leraning process and the autonomy of IDPs when they use the App the next time, even if they do physical activities by their own or with their colleagues.
3. CARDIOVASCULAR ACTIVITY (BIKING).
It can be done with a stationary bikes, so they must be available in centre or in a gym. The training group (IDPs, relatives and professionals) can go together to the gym for a specific training session where they can prepare the workout plan and follow up the main results that the App monitoring can offer. The training can be repeated two more times so trainees can check out improvements. This activity can be of 20 minutes.