Training materials for professsionals and relatives
The WhatsApp app encourages immediate social communication but it shouldn’t replace it.
It is very simple and easy to use and it can be learnt fast.
It is convenient to communicate quickly and to send images, videos or locations, it allows also phone calls if you have a strong Wi-Fi connection.
The app can increase social relationships in the distance.
Above all the main uses and characteristics that Whatsapp can offer, it can help to improve and maintain interpersonal relationships and therefore can enhance social inclusion.
Whatsapp can also help to keep IDPs connected with their support persons and enhance personal development, acquiring new functional skills such as handling the application, using a smartphone, etc.
Whatsapp can provide IDPs emotional well-being because it can help them to feel secure in a situation because they can be in touch with friends, family, support people etc.
It can also help to reduce the stress levels that may happen in a situation that they find unsafe, or to indicate on a map where they are if they are lost.
SUPPORTS:TIPS FOR RELATIVES AND PROFESSIONALS
Once the user has learnt how to use the app, something that is very easy, it doesn’t need of strong supports so autonomy and independence can be enhanced, users can learn how to use the app step by step.
Supports are needed only to initiate the use of the app and to show the different functionalities, once this is learnt the best thing to do is to practice so learning can be enhanced and users can take profit of it.
A physical support could be useful when user has difficulty in using fingers like a pointer to enhance better management.
Relatives and professionals are quite important to teach users a correct use of the social networks: they are meant to socialize not for isolate people.
Ensure that users know the following:
- Do not send any information that you want to keep private.
- Do not send pictures in inappropriate contexts and situations.
- If it is not necessary, do not to publish where you are, do that only with persons you really trust.
- Be cautious, be sure pictures send through Whatsapp are appropriate to be viewed by a public audience, even if you trust them.
(Support for relatives or professionals) When helping an IDPs using Whatsapp, you may access to private conversations with friends or to information they want to keep private, think that the only way to buid trust with a person is to keep that information in between you.
THERE IS AN OFFICIAL WEBPAGE WITH MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THE APP.
- Title: Let’s see who guesses before!!!
- Objective: Try to guess a series of riddles quickly.
- Participants: from 3 to 6 persons with the support of a relative and/or a professional.
- Resource requirements: smartphones (1 per participant), and to create a WhatsApp group where all participants are included.
- Description: the relative and/or the professional writes a riddle in the WhatsApp group and participants have 10 minutes to answer.
- Time: there is no prescribed time, but you can give about 10 minutes to answer and see who guesses before
- Support materials: you can give clues with the emoticons.