Training materials for professsionals and relatives
Google Maps are a fun and visual way to help to understand geography concepts, map reading, location, and distance measurement.
It offers a wide range of possibilities of use. Smart phones put a map in our pocket. Every professional that needs to use maps is using digital maps. Pilots now fly with tablets, ship captains now navigate with GPS and digital maps. Truck drivers now drive via digital maps and GPS location.
Google maps provides a wide range of options, having help us in locating, finding places, routes, planning, and time and is also useful for people with ID. Try to use App Gogle maps in everyday life with person with ID.
Together with the person with ID can use Google Maps in different environments;
- You can see the current location, specific places, ways how to get there and how much time will be needed for this
- You can look maps from different views – on map, 3d image, satellite pictures
- You can see pictures of places from five years ago till now.
Google maps is translated in different languages: English, German, Italian, Croatian, Portuguese, Spanish, Slovene…
The app works without internet connections.
The application is supported by sound, and opens up the possibility of use for people with problems in reading and writing.
Instructions on how to use and download the Google Maps may change. Check with software provider. The application is required to update.
Google maps can help to develop three dimensions of life:
Location/orientation in the environment
Google maps help you to re-orient where the person is and how he/she will come to another location or place. You can look where the person is and where to go and how. You can help him to make a map with your photos.
Independence and autonomy
People with ID have greater degree of autonomy moving in the environment and make contacts. You can facilitate the person with ID to meet with friends on another location. The APP helps him how to get there. The range of support is individual.
Person with disabilities became an active partner in planning (holidays, travels, meeting…).
You can help the person with ID to become independent in travelling to town by bus, by train or walk. The app includes information about timetables of buses, trains, restaurants, health centres…
SUPPORTS:TIPS FOR RELATIVES AND PROFESSIONALS
Before using the Google map, it is important that the program is downloaded to the tablet, computer or phone. Person with ID may ask for help to install app.
See the instructions on the net and the procedure for loading on phone, computer or tablet.
The range of supports is different, depends of individuals. It is important to know if the person know how to use computer, phone, tablet and how often does she/he use it.
How to support IDPs when using app Google maps:
- Adjust your communication with users (in addition to the verbal use visually support, support with gestures …). The application enables navigation with voice (Voice Navigation) and extends the possibility of use for people with ID
- Reduce the amount of information on screen.
- Use »easy to read« text in training materials
- Start with known things and basic programs and then you can go to advance version.
- Use your fotos and try together to find way to your house from your workspace
- You need to training some steps frequently.
- You can write the name of city, restaurant on paper and then the person can copy or use voice comands.
- The application allows you to know where the person is located. ‘My Location’ is a great feature of Google Maps. Being able to find exactly where you are at the touch of a button is incredibly useful. It is important that you had GPS signal. You can also use other programs that show you where the person is (GPS locator Famili).
Be aware, if the person needs special devices:
- adapted or enlargeled keyboards
- pointing devices, special mice, trackboards, joysticks, head controled mice
- other devices (imput devices, voice input, eye gaze)
- indirect switch and scanning system.
Set the GPS navigation in consultation with users.
Support for google maps can be found here:
ON YOU TUBE YOU CAN FIND VIDEOS WITH BASIC INSTRUCTIONS IN ENGLISH LANGUAGE:
LOOK IF YOU CAN FIND SOMETHING ABOUT GOOGLE MAPS IN YOUR LANGUAGE ON YOU TUBE. SHARE YOUR VIDEOS WITH OTHERS.
PREVIOUS EXPERIENCES OF IDPs USING THIS APP ALREADY, OR RELATIVES OR PROFESSIONALS USING THIS APP WITH IDPs
Blaž uses bus every day. Once the bus didn’t stop on his place and Blaž called his teacher. He did not know where he was.
When the teacher checked GPS (family locator), he recognized that Blaž was on the last bus station. He suggested that he could go back by bus. Blaž asked bus driver and he helped him to came to job this day.
This was a good practice of using smartphone and how to help the person with ID and how supported person used technology in everyday life situation.
We have prepared several activities to use Google Maps
- LEARN HOW THE MAP WORKS
- FIND THE PICTURE OF HIS/HER HOME, JOB, INTERESTING PLACE
- HOW TO GO FROM ONE TO ANOTHER PLACE WITH GOOGLE MAPS
- FIND A SPECIAL PLACE
- HOW TO GO FROM ONE TO ANOTHER PLACE
- ONLINE EXERCISE TO BE DONE ONLINE WITH INDIVIDUAL SUPPORTS